Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?
Date: 2017-10-11 00:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-09-20 01:32:36 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2017-09-13 23:39:21 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > The real problem in this area, to my mind, is that we're not testing that
> > > code --- either end of it --- in any systematic way. If it's broken it
> > > could take us quite a while to notice.
> >
> > Independent of the thrust of my question - why aren't we adding a
> > 'force-v2' option to libpq? A test that basically does something like
> > postgres[22923][1]=# \setenv PGFORCEV2 1
> > postgres[22923][1]=# \c
> > You are now connected to database "postgres" as user "andres".
> > postgres[22924][1]=>
> > seems easy enough to add, in fact I tested the above.
> >
> > And the protocol coverage of the v2 protocol seems small enough that a
> > single not too large file ought to cover most if it quite easily.
>
> Here's what I roughly was thinking of. I don't quite like the name, and
> the way the version is specified for libpq (basically just the "raw"
> integer). Not sure if others have an opinion on that. I personally
> would lean towards not documenting this option...
>
> There's a few things that I couldn't find easy ways to test:
> - the v2 specific binary protocol - I don't quite see how we could test
> that without writing C
> - version error checks - pg_regress/psql errors out in non-interactive
> mode if a connection fails to be established. This we could verify
> with a s simple tap test.
>
> Coverage of the relevant files is a good bit higher afterwards. Although
> our libpq coverage is generally pretty damn awful.

Any opinions on this? Obviously this needs some cleanup, but I'd like to
know whether we've concensus on adding a connection option for this goal
before investing more time into this.

A nearby thread [1] whacks around some the v2 code, which triggered me
to look into this. I obviously can just use thiese patches to test those
patches during development, but it seems better to keep coverage.

Thanks,

Andres

[1] https://postgr.es/m/20170914063418.sckdzgjfrsbekae4@alap3.anarazel.de