Re: [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternative hosts when some errors occur

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternative hosts when some errors occur
Date: 2017-05-19 02:08:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
>> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Peter Eisentraut
>> The problem is that if we decide to change the behavior mid-beta, then we'll
>> only have the rest of beta to find out whether people will like the other
>> behavior.
>>
>> I would aim for the behavior that is most suitable for refinement in the
>> future. The current behavior seems to match that.
>
> I think the pre-final release period is the very timing for refinement, in the perspective of users and PG developers as users.

Sure that is the correct period to argue.

> One thing I'm worried is that people here might become more conservative against change once the final version is released.

Any redesign after release would finish by being a new feature, which
would be in this case a new connection parameter or an extra option
that works with the current parameter, say something to allow soft or
hard failures when multiple hosts are defined.
--
Michael