Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date: 2016-01-11 15:36:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:36 AM, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > When executing a query using \watch in psql the first execution of the
> query
> > includes "Title is [...]" when \pset title is in use. Subsequent
> executions
> > do not. Once that first display goes off-screen the information in the
> > title is no longer readily accessible. If using \watch for a
> long-running
> > monitoring query it can be helpful to incorporate some context
> information
> > into the title.
>
> Yeah, this sounds like a good idea to show it at each iteration if the
> title is set. I am not sure we would want to treat that as a bug fix
> as nothing is broken, it looks more like a new feature.

​I would agree...but wouldn't personally argue against the bug-fix
interpretation.​ Given the nature of watch, that it is used for human
interaction, the odds of it being used in an automation environment - where
a change in layout could have an impact - it highly unlikely.

> Any suggestions for a better way to accomplish the goal?
>
> What I have been doing in such cases until now is updating the name of
> the terminal tab to identify what was going on.

​Except I run my two monitor queries inside a tmux pane and so cannot
directly give them names. I get the point and probably a window name would
end up being sufficient.

David J.