Re: pg_rewind in contrib

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <mpaquier(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind in contrib
Date: 2015-03-10 06:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> Attached is a new patch version, fixing all the little things you listed. I
>> believe this is pretty much ready for commit. I'm going to read it through
>> myself one more time before committing, but I don't have anything mind now
>> that needs fixing anymore.
>
> I do -- it's obvious that you've given some consideration to
> translatability, but it's not complete: anything that's using fprintf()
> and friends are not marked for translation with _(). There are lots of
> things using pg_fatal etc and those are probably fine.
>
> One big thing that's not currently translated is usage(), but there are
> others.

Definitely.

On top of that, I had an extra look at this patch, testing pg_rewind
with OSX, Linux, MinGW-32 and MSVC. Particularly on Windows, I have
been able to rewind a node and to reconnect it to a promoted standby
using this utility compiled on both MinGW-32 and MSVC (nothing fancy
with two services, one master and a standby on a local server). I
think nobody has tested that until now though...

A minor comment:
+ <para>
+ <application>pg_rewind</> is a tool for synchronizing a PostgreSQL cluster
+ with another copy of the same cluster, after the clusters' timelines have
PostgreSQL needs the markup <productname>.
--
Michael