Re: Bug fix in vacuumdb --buffer-usage-limit xxx -Z

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Ryoga Yoshida <bt23yoshidar(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug fix in vacuumdb --buffer-usage-limit xxx -Z
Date: 2023-09-21 06:56:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 17:59, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> That was fast. If I may ask, why don't you have some regression tests
> for the two code paths of vacuumdb that append this option to the
> commands generated for VACUUM and ANALYZE?

I think we have differing standards for what constitutes as a useful
test. For me, there would have to be a much higher likelihood of this
ever getting broken again.

I deem it pretty unlikely that someone will accidentally remove the
code that I just committed and a test to test that vacuumdb -Z
--buffer-usage-limit ... passes the BUFFER_USAGE_LIMIT option would
likely just forever mark that we once had a trivial bug that forgot to
include the --buffer-usage-limit when -Z was specified.

If others feel strongly that a test is worthwhile, then I'll reconsider.

David