Re: User Interface for WAL usage data

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kirill Bychik <kirill(dot)bychik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: User Interface for WAL usage data
Date: 2020-04-06 16:34:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 08:29:31AM +0200, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> > > "full page records" seems to be showing the number of full page
> > > images, not the record having full page images.
> >
> > I am not sure what exactly is a difference but it is the records
> > having full page images. Julien correct me if I am wrong.

> Obviously previous complaints about the meaning and parsability of
> "full page writes" should be addressed here for consistency.

There's a couple places that say "full page image records" which I think is
language you were trying to avoid. It's the number of pages, not the number of
records, no ? I see explain and autovacuum say what I think is wanted, but
these say the wrong thing? Find attached slightly larger patch.

$ git grep 'image record'
contrib/pg_stat_statements/pg_stat_statements.c: int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page image records generated */
doc/src/sgml/ref/explain.sgml: number of records, number of full page image records and amount of WAL

--
Justin

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-doc-WAL-usage.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB