Re: GSoC 2018 Project Ideas & Mentors - Last Call

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSoC 2018 Project Ideas & Mentors - Last Call
Date: 2018-01-21 14:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I've gone through and cleaned up our GSoC 2018 Wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2018
>
> Please review! If you have any last-minute items, please add them!

How about adding a project to support Unique capability for the Hash
Index? I have previously shared some ideas on how to implement it [1]
and I can further elaborate it if required, but I think some
discussion is required. I think it will be a good project for a new
person and I can help in completing it once we decide on some
particular design. Now, if the student can complete this in time and
have the bandwidth to do more, we can ask him to support multi-column
hash indexes and the idea described by Tom to implement the same in
one of his emails [2] sounds doable to me in a reasonable amount of
time.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2Bf%3DKpUW3TOW0P9LUCA8xhFujcjKhEnYRtoaB83LSsSMg%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7192.1506527843%40sss.pgh.pa.us

--