Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting pd_lower in GIN metapage
Date: 2017-09-10 06:28:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Michael Paquier
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> I think that would be true if we did both my point 1 and 2, so that
>>> the wal replay functions could trust pd_lower to be sane in all cases.
>>> But really, if you have to touch all the places that write these
>>> metapages, you might as well mark them REGBUF_STANDARD while at it.

>>> Yeah, I was wondering if we ought not clean up btree/hash while at it.
>>> At the very least, their existing comments saying that it's inessential
>>> to set pd_lower could use some more detail about why or why not.
>>>

>> +1. I think we can even use REGBUF_STANDARD in the hash for metapage
>> where currently it is not used. I can give a try to write a patch for
>> hash/btree part if you want.
>
> Coordinating efforts here would be nice. If you, Amit K, are taking
> care of a patch for btree and hash

I think here we should first agree on what we want to do. Based on
Tom's comment, I was thinking of changing comments in btree/hash part
and additionally for hash indexes, I can see if we can pass
REGBUF_STANDARD for all usages of metapage. I am not sure if we want
similar exercise for btree as well.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.