Re: PoC plpgsql - possibility to force custom or generic plan

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PoC plpgsql - possibility to force custom or generic plan
Date: 2017-09-10 06:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > personally I prefer syntax without FOR keyword - because following
> keyword
> > must be reserved keyword
>
> > SET x = .., y = .. SELECT ... ;
>
> Nope. Most of the statement-starting keywords are *not* fully reserved;
> they don't need to be as long as they lead off the statement. But this
> proposal would break that. We need to put FOR or IN or another
> already-fully-reserved keyword after the SET list, or something's going
> to bite us.

the possibility to control plan cache for any command via GUC outside
PLpgSQL can introduce lot of question.

What impact will be on PREPARE command and on EXECUTE command?

If we disable plan cache for EXECUTE, should we remove plan from plan
cache? ...

Can we have some diagnostic to get info if some command has cached plan or
not?

Regards

Pavel