Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date: 2014-09-11 04:50:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:

> I have done the testing and behavior is as per expectation,
>
> Do we need to do some document change? I mean is this limitation on
windows is mentioned anywhere ?

I don't think currently such a limitation is mentioned in docs,
however I think we can update the docs at below locations:

1. In description of pg_start_backup in below page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-BACKUP
2. In Explanation of Base Backup, basically under heading
Making a Base Backup Using the Low Level API at below
page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP

In general, we can explain about symlink_label file where ever
we are explaining about backup_label file.

If you think it is sufficient to explain about symlink_label in
above places, then I can update the patch.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.