Re: Direct I/O

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Direct I/O
Date: 2023-04-30 06:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 4:11 PM Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> Speaking of the developer-only status, I find the io_direct name more enticing
> than force_parallel_mode, which PostgreSQL renamed due to overuse from people
> expecting non-developer benefits. Should this have a name starting with
> debug_?

Hmm, yeah I think people coming from other databases would be tempted
by it. But, unlike the
please-jam-a-gather-node-on-top-of-the-plan-so-I-can-debug-the-parallel-executor
switch, I think of this thing more like an experimental feature that
is just waiting for more features to make it useful. What about a
warning message about that at startup if it's on?