Re: Direct I/O

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Direct I/O
Date: 2023-04-30 23:50:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 06:35:30PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 4:11 PM Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> > Speaking of the developer-only status, I find the io_direct name more enticing
> > than force_parallel_mode, which PostgreSQL renamed due to overuse from people
> > expecting non-developer benefits. Should this have a name starting with
> > debug_?
>
> Hmm, yeah I think people coming from other databases would be tempted
> by it. But, unlike the
> please-jam-a-gather-node-on-top-of-the-plan-so-I-can-debug-the-parallel-executor
> switch, I think of this thing more like an experimental feature that
> is just waiting for more features to make it useful. What about a
> warning message about that at startup if it's on?

Such a warning wouldn't be particularly likely to be seen by someone who
already didn't read/understand the docs for the not-feature that they
turned on.

Since this is -currently- a developer-only feature, it seems reasonable
to rename the GUC to debug_direct_io, and (at such time as it's
considered to be helpful to users) later rename it to direct_io.
That avoids the issue that random advice to enable direct_io=x under
v17+ is applied by people running v16. +0.8 to do so.

Maybe in the future, it should be added to GUC_EXPLAIN, too ?

--
Justin