Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Date: 2023-04-10 16:34:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 3:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I guess I'd vote for pulling the trigger in v16 if we can get that
> done by the end of April. Once we're close to beta I think it
> must wait for v17 to open.

I think that sounds reasonable. It would be to the project's advantage
not to have to maintain three build systems for an extra year, but we
can't still be whacking things around right up until the moment we
expect to ship a beta.

However, if this is the direction we're going, we probably need to
give pgsql-packagers a heads up ASAP, because anybody who is still
relying on the MSVC system to build Windows binaries is presumably
going to need some time to adjust. If we rip out the build system
somebody is using a couple of weeks before beta, that might make it
difficult for that person to get the beta out promptly. And I think
there's probably more than just EDB who would be in that situation.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com