Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When to drop src/tools/msvc support
Date: 2023-04-10 16:56:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> However, if this is the direction we're going, we probably need to
> give pgsql-packagers a heads up ASAP, because anybody who is still
> relying on the MSVC system to build Windows binaries is presumably
> going to need some time to adjust. If we rip out the build system
> somebody is using a couple of weeks before beta, that might make it
> difficult for that person to get the beta out promptly. And I think
> there's probably more than just EDB who would be in that situation.

Oh ... that's a good point. Is there anyone besides EDB shipping
MSVC-built executables? Would it even be practical to switch to
meson with a month-or-so notice? Seems kind of tight, and it's
not like the packagers volunteered to make this switch.

Maybe we have to bite the bullet and keep MSVC for v16.
If we drop it as soon as v17 opens, there's probably not that
much incremental work involved compared to dropping for v16.