Re: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION -- add missing tab-completes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-04-10 16:24:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 9:29 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think that parameters used by the backend process when performing
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION belong to the first category. And other parameters
> used by apply workers and tablesync workers belong to the second
> category. Since slot_name is used by both I'm not sure it should be in
> the second category, but password_requried seems to be used by only
> apply workers and tablesync workers, so it should be in the second
> category.

I agree. I think actually the current division is quite odd. The only
parameters that strictly affect the CREATE SUBSCRIPTION command are
"connect" and "create_slot". "enabled" and "slot_name" clearly control
later behavior, because you can alter both of them later, with ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION! The "enabled" parameter is changed using different
syntax, ALTER SUBSCRIPTION .. ENABLE | DISABLE instead of ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... SET (enabled = true | false), which is possibly not
the best choice, but regardless of that, these parameters clearly
affect behavior later, not just at CREATE SUBSCRIPTION time.

Probably we ought to just collapse the sections together somehow, and
use the text to clarify the exact behavior as required. I definitely
disagree with the idea of moving the new parameters to the other
section -- that's clearly wrong.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com