Re: refactoring basebackup.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: refactoring basebackup.c
Date: 2022-01-19 21:26:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 7:16 AM Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have done initial testing and
> working on updating the test coverage.

I spent some time thinking about test coverage for the server-side
backup code today and came up with the attached (v12-0003). It does an
end-to-end test that exercises server-side backup and server-side
compression and then untars the backup and validity-checks it using
pg_verifybackup. In addition to being good test coverage for these
patches, it also plugs a gap in the test coverage of pg_verifybackup,
which currently has no test case that untars a tar-format backup and
then verifies the result. I couldn't figure out a way to do that back
at the time I was working on pg_verifybackup, because I didn't think
we had any existing precedent for using 'tar' from a TAP test. But it
was pointed out to me that we do, so I used that as the model for this
test. It should be easy to generalize this test case to test lz4 and
zstd as well, I think. But I guess we'll still need something
different to test what your patch is doing.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v12-0002-Server-side-gzip-compression.patch application/octet-stream 21.1 KB
v12-0003-Test-server-side-backup-backup-compression-and-p.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB
v12-0001-Support-base-backup-targets.patch application/octet-stream 38.5 KB