Re: pg_retainxlog for inclusion in 9.3?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_retainxlog for inclusion in 9.3?
Date: 2013-01-14 16:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> Mostly that it seems like a hack, and I suspect we may come up with a
>> better way to do this in the future.
>
> Do you have the specs of such better way? Would it be a problem to have
> both pg_retainxlog and the new way?

Well, I think in the long term we are likely to want the master to
have some kind of ability to track the positions of its slaves, even
when they are disconnected. And, optionally, to retain the WAL that
they need, again even when they are disconnected. If such an ability
materializes, this will be moot (even as I think that pg_standby is
now largely moot, at least for new installations, now that we have
standby_mode=on).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company