Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgbuildfarm(at)jdrake(dot)com
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make
Date: 2013-01-14 17:09:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgbuildfarm(at)jdrake(dot)com writes:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Without access to the machine it's pretty hard to know, so I was just
>> speculating fairly wildly. If Jeremy can find out what the problem is that
>> would be good, or if he can give us access to the machine it shouldn't be
>> terribly hard to get to the bottom.

> I'll see what I can do. For now, I can tell you that it works with GCC
> and fails with ICC.

BTW, just to close out this thread on the public list --- Andrew found
out that the problem goes away if one removes "-parallel" from the list
of compiler options. That makes it a pretty blatant compiler bug, and
one that we've not seen elsewhere, so it's probably specific to the
(old) icc version that Jeremy is running on this buildfarm animal.

Given that no other buildfarm members are showing a problem, I don't
intend to revert the configure change. Jeremy should update his icc
or remove the -parallel switch on that animal.