Re: Inconsistencies around defining FRONTEND

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Inconsistencies around defining FRONTEND
Date: 2022-08-24 14:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 9:55 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> We could, if we make xlogreader.c and the rmgrdesc routines built as part of
> src/common. I don't really see how otherwise.

After a little bit of study, I agree.

It looks to me like -DFRONTEND can be removed from
src/fe_utils/Makefile and probably also src/common/unicode/Makefile
without changing anything else, because the C files in those
directories seem to be frontend-only and they already include
"postgres_fe.h". I think we should go ahead and do that, and also
apply the patch I posted yesterday with whatever bikeshedding seems
appropriate.

It doesn't really seem like we have a plausible alternative to the
current system for src/common or src/port.

pg_rewind and pg_waldump seem to need the xlogreader code moved to
src/common, as Andres proposes. I'm not volunteering to tackle that
right now but I think it might be a good thing to do sometime.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com