Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing
Date: 2019-05-01 16:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 11:31:31AM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > > Yes, but Fujii-san pointed out that this option doesn't support toast
> > > tables and I think there is not specific reason why not supporting
> > > them. So it might be good to add toast.vacuum_index_cleanup. Attached
> > > patch.
> >
> > Being able to control that option at toast level sounds sensible. I
> > have added an open item about that.
>
> Robert, what is your stance on this open item? It's been an open item
> for about three weeks, without any progress.

The actual bug in this patch needs to be fixed, but I see we have
another open item for that. This open item, as I understand it, is
all about whether we should add another reloption so that you can
control this behavior separately for TOAST tables. In my opinion,
that's not a critical change and the open item should be dropped, but
others might see it differently.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company