Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: New vacuum option to do only freezing
Date: 2019-05-09 05:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 1:39 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Being able to control that option at toast level sounds sensible. I
> > > have added an open item about that.
> >
> > Robert, what is your stance on this open item? It's been an open item
> > for about three weeks, without any progress.
>
> The actual bug in this patch needs to be fixed, but I see we have
> another open item for that. This open item, as I understand it, is
> all about whether we should add another reloption so that you can
> control this behavior separately for TOAST tables. In my opinion,
> that's not a critical change and the open item should be dropped, but
> others might see it differently.

I agree that this item is neither critical and bug. But this is an
(my) oversight and is a small patch and I think there is no specific
reason why we don't dare to include this in 12. So if this patch could
get reviewed enough I think we can have it in 12. Since the previous
patch conflicts with current HEAD I've attached the rebased version
patch.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
toast_vacuum_index_cleanup_v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.6 KB