Re: suggest to rename enable_incrementalsort

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggest to rename enable_incrementalsort
Date: 2020-06-22 15:13:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> OK, challenge accepted. $100 to the first person who commits a patch
> with a variable NaMeS___LiKeTh_is.

:-)

Well, that was hyperbole, but people have proposed some pretty wacky
schemes, and a few of those have ended up in the tree. For example we
have AtEOXact_PgStat and its close friend AtEOXact_on_commit_actions,
for instance, or out_gistxlogDelete, or
IncrementVarSublevelsUp_rtable, or convert_EXISTS_sublink_to_join. I
confess haven't managed to find any plausible examples of underscores
in the middle of a word yet, and we only have a handful of examples of
double-underscore and none with triple-underscore, but we've got
nearly every combination of lower-case words, upper-case words,
initial-capital words, underscores separating words or not, and words
abbreviated or not, and it's not hard to find cases where several
different styles are used in the same identifier. This isn't the end
of the world or anything, but I think we would be better off if we
tried to do less of it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company