Re: Global snapshots

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrey V(dot) Lepikhov" <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Global snapshots
Date: 2020-06-22 15:06:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 05:51:21PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I feel if Sawada-San or someone involved in another patch also once
> studies this approach and try to come up with some form of comparison
> then we might be able to make better decision. It is possible that
> there are few good things in each approach which we can use.

Agreed. Postgres-XL code is under the Postgres license:

Postgres-XL is released under the PostgreSQL License, a liberal Open
Source license, similar to the BSD or MIT licenses.

and even says they want it moved into Postgres core:

https://www.postgres-xl.org/2017/08/postgres-xl-9-5-r1-6-announced/

Postgres-XL is a massively parallel database built on top of,
and very closely compatible with PostgreSQL 9.5 and its set of advanced
features. Postgres-XL is fully open source and many parts of it will
feed back directly or indirectly into later releases of PostgreSQL, as
we begin to move towards a fully parallel sharded version of core PostgreSQL.

so we should understand what can be used from it.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com