Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions
Date: 2016-06-07 15:44:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
> Here is the patch split into many small patches as you suggested. The
> current patches are based on top of the patch which fixes the signatures for
> gin and gist functions.

Generally, I think that there's no point in changing many of these
contrib modules in this way. There's no use that I can see, for
example, in running a parallel query using any of the adminpack
functions, so why mark them anything other than the default of
parallel-unsafe?

adminpack: Doesn't seem useful.
bloom: As you say, functions are never called directly, so there's no point.
btree_gin: As you say, functions are never called directly, so there's no point.
btree_gist: As you say, functions are never called directly, so
there's no point.
chkpass: Doesn't seem useful.
citext: Committed.
cube: I think we need a new extension version.
dblink: Isn't changing dblink_fdw_validator pointless? The others I get.
earthdistance: Committed.
file_fdw: As you say, functions are never called directly, so there's no point.
fuzzystrmatch: Committed.
hstore: Does not apply for me.
hstore_plperl: As you say, functions are never called directly, so
there's no point.
hstore_plpython: As you say, functions are never called directly, so
there's no point.
intagg: Committed.
intarray: Does not apply for me.
lo: Committed.