Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions
Date: 2016-06-08 13:24:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/07/2016 05:44 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> adminpack: Doesn't seem useful.

The case I imagined was if someone would use these functions on the
result from a slow CTE and would want the CTE to be executed in
parallel. I have no idea if that is a realistic case, but I rarely use
adminpack in my own work.

> chkpass: Doesn't seem useful.

Agreed.

> dblink: Isn't changing dblink_fdw_validator pointless? The others I get.

Yeah, but since it is just one function I think it makes sense to change
it when we already are bumping the version of the extension. I think it
makes sense to skip whole extensions, like chkpass or bloom, but if it
is just a few functions where it does not matter, why not tag them as
safe? Personally I think the churn which really matters is if we have to
bump the extension version or not.

Andreas