Re: How to Works with Centos

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Benyamin Guedj <benyamin621(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, avital(at)twingo(dot)co(dot)il
Subject: Re: How to Works with Centos
Date: 2017-12-27 18:53:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 06:48:09PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
>> so you have two options:
>>
>> 1) use the packages from yum.postgresql.org for a supported version
>> 2) get commercial support for your out-of-community-support verssion
>>
>> but even if you do 2, that would be a preparatory step looking
>> forward to upgrade to a newer version
>
> You need to think long-term here. The product that you are developing
> and/or maintaining will need to stay around for a couple of years as
> well, those are years where you should keep up with the community support
> window of 5 years for a major version of PostgreSQL. That's what I do
> on the stuff I work with, and the outcome is much better at the end
> as there is no need to finish with a private fork of an out-of-support
> version, normally at least.

+1. Someone with whom I was speaking recently mentioned that they
were upgrading from 9.2 to 9.6, and that sounds like a pretty good
plan to me if you want to have a release that will be supported for a
while but is thought to be stable now. We're still finding bugs in
v10 at a slightly alarming rate, but that will, I hope, settle down
over the next few months. Meanwhile, 9.6 has been out for a year and,
as far as I've seen, all indications seem to be that it's a pretty
solid release.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company