Re: How to Works with Centos

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Benyamin Guedj <benyamin621(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, avital(at)twingo(dot)co(dot)il
Subject: Re: How to Works with Centos
Date: 2017-12-26 00:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 06:48:09PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> so you have two options:
>
> 1) use the packages from yum.postgresql.org for a supported version
> 2) get commercial support for your out-of-community-support verssion
>
> but even if you do 2, that would be a preparatory step looking
> forward to upgrade to a newer version

You need to think long-term here. The product that you are developing
and/or maintaining will need to stay around for a couple of years as
well, those are years where you should keep up with the community support
window of 5 years for a major version of PostgreSQL. That's what I do
on the stuff I work with, and the outcome is much better at the end
as there is no need to finish with a private fork of an out-of-support
version, normally at least.
--
Michael