Re: PG 10 release notes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 10 release notes
Date: 2017-05-01 12:02:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Or the ability of logical decoding to follow timeline switches.
>
> I didn't think logical decoding was really more than a proof-of-concept
> until now.

/me searches for jaw on floor.

It sounds like you don't understand how logical decoding works. There
are plugins -- fairly widely used, I think -- like
https://github.com/confluentinc/bottledwater-pg and
https://github.com/eulerto/wal2json which use the in-core
infrastructure to do very nifty things, much like there are foreign
data wrappers other than postgres_fdw. Even test_decoding is (perhaps
regrettably) being used to build production solutions. The point is
that most of the logic is in core; test_decoding or bottlewater or
wal2json are just small plugins that tap into that infrastructure.

I would not in any way refer to logical decoding as being only a proof
of concept, even before logical replication.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company