Re: PG 10 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 10 release notes
Date: 2017-05-04 23:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 08:02:46AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Or the ability of logical decoding to follow timeline switches.
> >
> > I didn't think logical decoding was really more than a proof-of-concept
> > until now.
>
> /me searches for jaw on floor.
>
> It sounds like you don't understand how logical decoding works. There
> are plugins -- fairly widely used, I think -- like
> https://github.com/confluentinc/bottledwater-pg and
> https://github.com/eulerto/wal2json which use the in-core
> infrastructure to do very nifty things, much like there are foreign
> data wrappers other than postgres_fdw. Even test_decoding is (perhaps
> regrettably) being used to build production solutions. The point is
> that most of the logic is in core; test_decoding or bottlewater or
> wal2json are just small plugins that tap into that infrastructure.
>
> I would not in any way refer to logical decoding as being only a proof
> of concept, even before logical replication.

The community ships a reliable logical _encoding_, and a test logical
_decoding_.

This came up from discussion related to this item:

the ability of logical decoding to follow timeline switches

My point was that based on the text it is test_decoding that can do
timeline switches, and is that significant enough to mention in the
release notes? Now, if it is that logical "encoding" now allows
external logical decoding modules to handle timeline switches, that is
different, but no one has said that yet.

You can have all the emotional reactions you want.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +