Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-11-27 04:04:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> I propose we remove the deprecated exclusive backup mode of
> pg_start_backup()/pg_stop_backup() for Postgres 12.

-1. I don't have a problem with deprecating exclusive backup mode
eventually, but I don't see any good reason to do it this soon.

It's not like the problems with exclusive backup are so serious that
you can't work around them. If you know which machine is your master,
you can arrange to remove backup_label on reboot (only) on the master
(only). Sure, a lot of people probably do this wrong, but it's
infeasible to disallow all the things that people might use
incorrectly without making the system useless.

There must be hundreds or thousands of backup scripts written by
individual users that still use exclusive mode floating around out
there. Forcing all of those to be updated or scrapped will annoy
users to no benefit.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company