Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-11-27 11:58:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/26/18 11:04 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>> I propose we remove the deprecated exclusive backup mode of
>> pg_start_backup()/pg_stop_backup() for Postgres 12.
>
> -1. I don't have a problem with deprecating exclusive backup mode
> eventually, but I don't see any good reason to do it this soon.
>
> It's not like the problems with exclusive backup are so serious that
> you can't work around them. If you know which machine is your master,
> you can arrange to remove backup_label on reboot (only) on the master
> (only).

I do not recommend that users write automated scripts to delete files
out of $PGDATA. Accidents happen that way.

If this is our recommendation on how the mitigate the problem with
exclusive backup then I think it proves the point that it is broken and
should be removed.

> Sure, a lot of people probably do this wrong, but it's
> infeasible to disallow all the things that people might use
> incorrectly without making the system useless.

But we have already fixed this problem -- it only remains to remove the
old method.

> There must be hundreds or thousands of backup scripts written by
> individual users that still use exclusive mode floating around out
> there. Forcing all of those to be updated or scrapped will annoy
> users to no benefit.

But we are OK with forcing them to scrap their recovery scripts?

And there is a benefit -- Postgres will be able to restart if it crashes
during a backup.

Regards,
--
-David