Re: adding partitioned tables to publications

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: adding partitioned tables to publications
Date: 2020-03-18 03:06:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:49 PM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I was trying to extract some preparatory work from the remaining patches
> and came up with the attached. This is part of your patch 0003, but
> also relevant for part 0004. The problem was that COPY (SELECT *) is
> not sufficient when the table has generated columns, so we need to build
> the column list explicitly.
>
> Thoughts?

Thank you for that.

+ if (isnull || !remote_is_publishable)
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errmsg("table \"%s.%s\" on the publisher is not publishable",
+ nspname, relname)));

Maybe add a one-line comment above this to say it's an "not supposed
to happen" error or am I missing something? Wouldn't elog() suffice
for this?

Other than that, looks good.

--
Thank you,