Re: performance tuning

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance tuning
Date: 2001-10-27 19:00:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

If I had a guess I would say the problem isn't with postgres, if your system
CPU usage is 50%. I haven't had a system go over 20%, even under extreme
duress. Are you by chance using Linux with a 2.4 kernel? The swap mechanism
in 2.4 was terrible (it may have been fixed by now). What is you memory and
virtual memory performance like? Extensive swapping could be at least
partially responsible.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.