Re: performance tuning

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance tuning
Date: 2001-11-07 23:14:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Keary Suska wrote:

> If I had a guess I would say the problem isn't with postgres, if your system
> CPU usage is 50%. I haven't had a system go over 20%, even under extreme
> duress. Are you by chance using Linux with a 2.4 kernel? The swap mechanism
> in 2.4 was terrible (it may have been fixed by now). What is you memory and
> virtual memory performance like? Extensive swapping could be at least
> partially responsible.
>
> Keary Suska
> Esoteritech, Inc.
> "Leveraging Open Source for a better Internet"

coming very late to this thread..
In general what settings can one change to enhance performance. I too have
a machine with high CPU utilization when doing a query. Said query does a
sequential scan.

When I use 'top' to see how much memory is been used by postgresql it is
only using 8MB. This machine is very lightly used so I would like to give
PostgreSQL more memory.