Re: Sequential sequence numbers

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sequential sequence numbers
Date: 2001-10-27 19:19:22
Lists: pgsql-general

If truly sequential numbers is what you want, that is, sequential both by
number and by time (i.e. a smaller number cannot be inserted after a larger
number has) you can only do it with a performance hit. The idea would be:

CREATE TABLE seq ( index INT NOT NULL );
-- we assume that seq has been initialized with a single row, index value 1

-- how to use it:
BEGIN
SELECT index FROM seq FOR UPDATE;
UPDATE seq SET index = index + 1;
-- do your stuff here
-- if the transaction is committed, seq.index is incremented, and the lock
is released
-- if the transaction is rolled back, seq.index is untouched, the lock is
released, and the next call will attempt to use the current number.

As you can see, locking the sequence generator in this way blocks
simultaneous access, but wouldn't be a big deal if there aren't may users
and the actions taken during the transaction are quick. The drawback is that
seq will be locked for the duration of the transaction.

If it is not important that the sequence be sequential in time, you could
employ a sequence and a queue table, where the queue table is checked first
before the sequence is called. This would probably have to be done in the
application, as I can't think of how it can be accomplished using triggers
alone since you have to check for a rollback condition where you would need
to push the unused number onto the queue.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.