Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jörg Roman Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-01-31 14:19:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> What I know no body is working on SQL/OLB ISO/IEC 9075-10 now.
>
> I proposed a 3 years ago a support of methods, but without success.
> This propose was rejected. There isn't a real interest to implement it
> from commiters. And I have to say - users doesn't request it too. And
> there are a few issues with compatibility.

It seems to me it's a bit unfair to say "there isn't real interest to
implement it from committers". Plenty of features get implemented
that no committer particularly cares about, because a number of
committers - including me - spend a good deal of time reviewing and
committing patches written by other people which they never would have
written themselves. It's true that patches sometimes get swatted down
because they are judged to be insufficiently useful or badly design or
because they create compatibility breaks, but that's not the same as
"not interested", which to me implies a sort of purely arbitrary
rejection that I try hard to avoid.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company