Re: BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Mark Llewellyn <mark_llewellyn(at)adp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sujeet Rajguru <sujeet(dot)rajguru(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #5650: Postgres service showing as stopped when in fact it is running
Date: 2010-09-17 03:51:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hi Mark,

On of my college (Sujeet) has found a way to reproduce the same behaviour.
1. Installed PG 9.0 on Win XP SP3
2. Stop the Postgresql-9.0 service from service manager console
3. Create pgpass.conf in postgres (service account) user's profile with an
incorrect password deliberately.
(Refer: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html)
4. Now start the postgresql-9.0 service, it will return an error and the
status
shows stopped
5. However i could connect to the psql shell and get the prompt which means
the server is running.

So, please check if pgpass.conf file exists in service account (postgres)
user's %APPDATA%\postgresql directory with wrong password.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise Postgres Company<http://www.enterprisedb.com>