Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Mikio <tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.
Date: 2010-09-17 02:53:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 09/16/2010 07:12 PM, Mikio wrote:

> Bug reference: 5661
> Logged by: Mikio
> Email address: tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0 RC1
> Operating system: Windows XP SP3 Japanese
> Details:
>
> I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1 on Japanese Windows XP.
> I found character encoding is confusing in log files in pg_log directory.
> Default character encoding of all of databases are UTF-8, and almost message
> strings in log files are described by UTF-8 correctly.
> But few lines are described by EUC_JP.
> So 2 character encoding strings are existing in 1 log file and I can't read
> the messages parts of logs.
> Incidentally, client_encoding in postgresql.conf is commented out.

Thankyou for your report. This certainly sounds like a potential bug -
but to do anything about it, we will need to see the contents of the
actual log file in question and the contents of postgresql.conf .

Only partial log file contents should be necessary, showing the EUC_JP
encoded parts of the logs and say ten lines either side. If the EUC_JP
contents were generated by client code (say, RAISE NOTICE statements in
PL/PgSQL) then you will also need to supply the client code.

Please bundle all the files up in a zip file to protect them from
possible text encoding conversion during transfer, and post them to a
file hosting site. If you don't want them to be public, just collect the
logs up and wait for people to ask you to send them to them by private
email. Please send a copy to me, as I've dealt with encoding issues in
software (though not PostgreSQL) quite a bit.

--
Craig Ringer