Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.

From: tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.
Date: 2010-09-17 05:10:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hi Craig,

Thank you very much for your quick response.
I'm happy to participate to improve rc1.

This is my first report to postgre team so I'm not sure where is the
file hosting site.
I'm attaching the log file and postgresql.conf on this email.
Please let me know if this is not convenience for the team, can you tell
me the url of the appropriate upload site? I'll upload the file onto it.
I don't mind for it will be public.

BTW, I found third character encoding in the file, Shift_JIS. Attached
file is including all of 3 character encoded lines.
For your reference:
Shift_JIS: Default encoding of Japanese Windows. I found this problem
on posgre server which is working as Windows service.
EUC_JP: Very major encoding of Japanese Unix. I guess that the
developper which worked for this, on some Unix or Linux.
UTF-8: Major encoding especially ralating java in Japan. And I
specified as default encoding for my all of databases.

I didn't edit the log file to avoid change some data by text editor when
save it. So attached log file is including from start to end a service.
But the log file is very small. Total size is 7kb.
And client code is not attached. Cause the messages of bad character
encoding are relevant to starting up and shutting down messages.
So you can find easily this problem. They are in top and end of log
file.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Regards.

--
<tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp>

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:53:45 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> On 09/16/2010 07:12 PM, Mikio wrote:
> >
> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference: 5661
> > Logged by: Mikio
> > Email address: tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp
> > PostgreSQL version: 9.0 RC1
> > Operating system: Windows XP SP3 Japanese
> > Details:
> >
> > I'm using postgresql 9.0 rc1 on Japanese Windows XP.
> > I found character encoding is confusing in log files in pg_log directory.
> > Default character encoding of all of databases are UTF-8, and almost message
> > strings in log files are described by UTF-8 correctly.
> > But few lines are described by EUC_JP.
> > So 2 character encoding strings are existing in 1 log file and I can't read
> > the messages parts of logs.
> > Incidentally, client_encoding in postgresql.conf is commented out.
>
> Thankyou for your report. This certainly sounds like a potential bug -
> but to do anything about it, we will need to see the contents of the
> actual log file in question and the contents of postgresql.conf .
>
> Only partial log file contents should be necessary, showing the EUC_JP
> encoded parts of the logs and say ten lines either side. If the EUC_JP
> contents were generated by client code (say, RAISE NOTICE statements in
> PL/PgSQL) then you will also need to supply the client code.
>
> Please bundle all the files up in a zip file to protect them from
> possible text encoding conversion during transfer, and post them to a
> file hosting site. If you don't want them to be public, just collect the
> logs up and wait for people to ask you to send them to them by private
> email. Please send a copy to me, as I've dealt with encoding issues in
> software (though not PostgreSQL) quite a bit.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-2010-09-16_000000.zip application/x-zip-compressed 6.8 KB