Re: PG on two nodes with shared disk ocfs2 & drbd

From: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com
Subject: Re: PG on two nodes with shared disk ocfs2 & drbd
Date: 2011-02-27 23:13:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for your detailed information about HA and LB. First of all it's a
pitty that there is no built-in feature for LB+HA (both of them,
simultaneous).
In my eyes, the pgpool2/3-solution has to much disadvantages and
restrictions.
My idea was the one, that john described: DML and DDL are done on the small
box and reporting on the "big mama" with streaming replication and hot
stand-by enabled. the only problem is that we use temp tables for reporting
purposes. i hope that the query duration impact with not using temp tables
will be equalized through running dml/ddl on the small box.

I think, this will be the final configuration:
- drbd with multi primary (ocfs2) as archive location for the primary node
- streaming replication and hot stand-by

this is a good howto to get real high availability when the primary node
goes down, but for now I'm going to deploy the described configuration with
manual fail over.
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-an-active-passive-postgresql-cluster-with-pacemaker-corosync-and-drbd-centos-5.5

Regards,
Jasmin