Re: Transactions and ID's generated by triggers

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "'Andre Lopes'" <lopes80andre(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'postgresql Forums'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transactions and ID's generated by triggers
Date: 2011-02-27 23:37:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Using pl/pgsql you can:
DECLARE idordinal type;
BEGIN
INSERT INTO tdir_uris_files RETURNING id_ordinal INTO idordinal;
INSERT INTO tdir_uris_files_details (id_ordinal) VALUES (idordinal);
END;

Similar results are possible in other environments. If you do not have access to "RETURNING" for some reason you can issue a select - assuming you can identify the record in tdir_uris_files that you need.

David J.