Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rob Richardson <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table
Date: 2010-10-30 14:34:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Peter Geoghegan
<peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 30 October 2010 11:26, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Why not to use MVC approach by implementing a model, which uses, e.g.
>> scrollable cursors? I believe that wxWidgets supports MVC.
>
> I've seen that behaviour before in similar applications, but it had a
> major downside: the number of rows returned was not known in advance
> of scrolling down to the last one. So you couldn't visualise the size
> of the record set based on the size and relative position of the
> scrollbar.

That is basically how it works (MVC), albeit without using cursors;
for both the reason you state and because part of the point of the
tool is to tune queries and using cursors to do that completely messes
up any timings we might get.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com