Re: Which variant to choose?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: RP Khare <passionate_programmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which variant to choose?
Date: 2010-10-30 14:23:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30/10/10 07:56, RP Khare wrote:
> I want to use PostgreSQL for my standalone .NET Windows application. I
> downloaded PostgreSQL Advanced Server from EnterpriseDB's website and it
> is very smooth. The GUI also very good. But I suspect how along
> EnterpriseDB will support it.
> The second option is to download from postgresql.org
> <http://www.postgresql.org/>.

There aren't any substantial differences (that I'm aware of) in the free
download from EnterpriseDB vs the community release. It includes a lot
of work on the installer package.

> I want an edition that lasts long and I can easily upgrade it to future
> versions without any problems and it must work smoothly with .NET. It
> must also integrate seemlessly with third-party reporting tools.

The core postgresql project typically supports releases for about 5
years. Upgrades within a major release (e.g. 9.0.1 to 9.0.4) are simple.
Upgrades between major releases (e.g. 9.0.x to 9.1.x) can be done via a
dump/restore or (for the latest releases) the pg_upgrade utility (don't
know if it's ported to Windows).

As regards .net and reporting tools, I can't comment. We have drivers
for .net, odbc and jdbc but whether they are seamless enough only you
can decide.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd