Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Date: 2010-07-23 19:07:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/7/23 Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>:

>> Yeah, I'd like some more votes, too.
>
> I still don't see a compelling reason not to extend existing functions
> with a third argument. Or are we talking about deprecating them in the
> future (like remove their mention in the docs) and have the new names to
> replace them, with the new behavior as the default and the extended call
> convention as the old behavior?

just incomplete default behave :(. We can enhance old functions, but
we cannot to change default behave - it is mean, so we will to ignore
a NULLs in arrays forever - but it isn't true a three years. It is a
feature now. Please look to archive. There was a discus about it.

> I'm not sure about that, so I think extending existing function is ok.
>
> Or we would have to have the new functions work well with other types
> too, so that it's compelling to move from the old ones.

I would not to replace or enhance a to_char function. I plan to use a
"implode", "explode" names

Regards

Pavel Stehule