Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.3 built, but not released ...

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.3 built, but not released ...
Date: 1999-11-07 04:41:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > Sorry, the patches Ryan has posted are the same or different than the
> > ones Lamar is using/packaging?
>
> Uhh.. I think I lost you, or you lost me... I do not know which
> patches Lamar is using, but I assume they would be the pgsql 6.5.2
> linux/alpha patches. And I have already stated twice that they apply
> cleanly to 6.5.3 pre-release, and work fine. Would it just be easier if I
> took my patch file, renamed it to 6.5.3, and released it again? :)

The patches I am packaging with the 6.5.3-1 RPMS are the 6.5.2 patches Ryan
released not long ago. Ryan, if you want to do it, it would be nice to have an
'Official' test of the RPM packaging on RedHat/Alpha -- pick up the source rpm
(http://www.ramifordistat.net/postgres/SRPMS/postgresql-6.5.3-1.src.rpm) and
see if the binary RPM's produced by a 'rpm --rebuild
postgresql-6.5.3-1.src.rpm' are sane. That would be a nice thing. I am
contemplating buying a used slower AT-form-factor Alpha motherboard to do just
this myself -- but, if you can and will, that will suffice.

Your first statement as to the cleanness of the patch application is what
allowed me to name these RPM's as 'stable' and non-beta -- had you not made
that mention, the 6.5.3 RPM's would be beta until I got confirmation of the
Alpha patches applicability.

And, Ryan, THANKS for the packaging of those patches!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio