Re: [HACKERS] How about re-moderating pgsql-announce?

From: ocie(at)paracel(dot)com
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How about re-moderating pgsql-announce?
Date: 1998-07-16 18:10:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> It looks to me like pgsql-announce has found its way onto the spammers'
> target lists. Since the announce list was switched to unmoderated
> status at the beginning of May, my mail logs show its traffic as
>
> Real messages Spam
>
> May 3 0
> June 9 2
> July 1 4
>
> ... and July's only half over.
>
> May I suggest that pgsql-announce should go back to moderated status?
> Otherwise I foresee being forced to unsubscribe from it soon.

Alternatively, could we just bounce any mail from non-subscribers? We
could say something like "Due to the increasing amount of unsolicited
email on this list we require that posters are subscribed to the list.
In order to subscribe ... Then repost your message and it will be
accepted." I doubt any spammers would go to the trouble of
subscribing to the list.

Ocie