Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options
Date: 2020-10-30 16:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Okay, along those lines here's a patch using "this view" in a new paragraph
> for simplicity.

Basically OK with me, but ...

<quibble>
It seems fairly weird to use a nonspecific reference first and then a
specific one. That is, I'd expect to read "The pg_settings view ..."
and then "This view ...", not the other way around. So we could
put this para second, or put it first but make this para say
"The pg_settings view ..." while the existing text gets reduced to
"This view ...".

Or just make them both say "This view ..." so we don't have to have
this discussion again the next time somebody wants to add a para here.
</quibble>