Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument
Date: 2009-09-11 19:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Jan Otto <asche(at)me(dot)com> writes:
>> The bug in readdir() appeared in the final snow leopard too. Anybody
>> with Snow Leopard installed can check this, with simply doing the
>> regression tests (make check). The tablespace regression test is
>> failing.

>> The patch i sent in works around the issue. if it is not acceptable to
>> reread the tablespace-directory after every delete i can rewrite the
>> workaround. Probably it is preferred that we write all entries of the
>> directory into an array and looping through that array after that
>> instead of looping with ReadDir()?

> I'm not really eager to put in a workaround for such a basic OS bug,
> especially not when the odds are good that it'll be fixed in 10.6.1.
> Let's wait a little bit for Apple to get their act together.

Well, 10.6.1 is out and it's still got the readdir() bug :-(.

It's likely that there'll be a 10.6.2 before very long, but I wonder if
we should go ahead with some sort of hack; at least as a temporary fix
in CVS HEAD so that we can get more useful buildfarm reports from Snow
Leopard machines.

Comments?