Re: COPY enhancements

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY enhancements
Date: 2009-09-11 19:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> No, it *isn't* cheap.  Particularly not for COPY, for which we need an
>>> ad-hoc parser in psql.
>
>> :-(  That's definitely a complication, although it seems to me it will
>> need substantial work no matter what option we decide on.
>
> True :-(.  But I'm hoping we only have to revise it once more, not every
> time somebody thinks of another COPY option.

Yes, I completely agree. But a special case for one existing option
won't have that result, so long as we're resolved not to accept any
more (and perhaps eventually to remove the special case once we're
confident the functionality isn't needed any longer).

Another approach would be to generalize what is allowable as an
optional parameter to include a parenthesized column list, but I don't
really think that has a lot to recommend it.

...Robert