Re: New install Error : FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid"

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Václav Kyselý <vaclav(dot)kysely(at)vltavinleas(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New install Error : FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid"
Date: 2009-06-03 09:47:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

2009/6/3 Václav Kyselý <vaclav(dot)kysely(at)vltavinleas(dot)cz>:

> Hi,
>
> I have problem with Postgre SQL 8.3.7 (beta the same).
>
> I have at event log : "%t FATAL: could not create lock file
> "postmaster.pid": Permission denied"
> At PgAdmin I cannot Connect to database : it writing "false ..."
>
> - My systém Windows XP Pro SP3 - i have admin privilegs on systém
> - I try take PostgreSQL user at accounts admin privilegs (not help)
> - I try Uninstall Postgre, delete directory PostgreSQL, Stop all resident
> programs and install Postgre (not help)
> - I try run postgre service as Local Account ... (not help)

If you put everything back as it was (especially having the server run
as the postgres user), then check to ensure that the postgres user
account has permissions to modify the data directory. If there is an
existing postmaster.pid file in the data directory, check that postres
has permission to modify that file.

--
Dave Page